Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Things Mommy wants to remember!

Caleb has been learning a lot about God lately. He loves to watch thunderstorms, sometimes hanging upside-down on his bed looking out the window. We've taught him that God made the clouds, and he will tell you so if you ask him! The other day, as a storm was coming in, we were outside, of course! (We ARE Oklahomans!) The wind was beginning to blow furiously, and Caleb reached up to the sky in the midst of the wind and yelled "GOD!" at the top of his lungs. I think he was certain the wind was God Himself! Another day, we were driving in the car and Caleb was talking about how God made the clouds, then he said "where'd you go, God?" I told him that God was all around us, that He was in the clouds, in the car, in our hearts, everywhere. He began to repeat this back to me, then declared, "God hiding in clouds!" So adorable. Just a few days ago, we were in the backyard and the wind was blowing (gently, this time!)...Caleb began to jump in the air, arms stretched up as high as they could go, saying "I reach God! I reach God!!"

You know, things have been a little crazy since adding baby Joshua to our lives. And it's been a struggle for this slightly OCD girl to let go of her (fairly) organized life and call it good just to see everyone in clean clothes and fed. And of course I know that God's purpose for me is greater than getting all my "to do's" checked off...and of course I know that He is proud of me and loves me even when I leave stacks of charts at work and come home to a wreck of a house...but recently God has been using my sweet little 2 year-old to show me just how silly it is to think I can acheive being close to Him through my actions, my achievements. Aren't we all just like little toddlers, barely even comprehending who God truly is, trying our hardest to "reach" Him? But so precious to God when our hearts really want to know Him so much that we will jump as high as we can go to get there. And how compassionate and graceful that the Lord is willing to meet us where we are, not counting on our little toddler legs and arms to reach Him on their own.

No comments: